Remember when I said that I was going to make a love list this year? (I said that I wanted to do it and then later I suggested that you all do it for your New Year's resolution) Well, I started my list. And here is some of that list.
10. I love Hus because he listens to me ramble on and on and on (and on) about anything and everything. Hus is an amazing listener and he always has been. He will listen to me talk about my never-ending dissertation, my friends, my family, my lesson failures and creative ideas, my ridiculously ridiculous dreams (I remember my dreams almost every morning; and I usually tell him about them when I wake up), my favorite television shows, my gossip, and anything else I feel like talking about. Hus (and many other people in my life for that matter) has been known to ask me, "Jennie, did you know that you were thinking out loud?" I usually respond with, "What? Do you want me to be quiet?" To which he almost always says something to the effect of, "Nope, I love listening to you."
9. I love Hus because he is willing to do anything to make me feel better. For example, Hus will rub my legs after a long day in heels or get me medicine when I don't feel good. When I was pregnant, I had a headache every single afternoon for 4 months straight. Hus would give me a head massage on a daily basis.
8. I love Hus because he takes out the garbage and deals with any and all things related to the cars (i.e. insurance, titling, tags, oil changes, repairs, etc.). I hate doing both of those things, so I'm glad Hus is willing.
7. I love Hus because other people notice that Hus loves me. My friends and family have said on many occasions over the last 10 plus years, "He looks at you like you're still teenagers." They're right. He does.
6. I love Hus because he has a special relationship with both of our children. He has his own nicknames for them, little games that only he can play with them, and special voices that he uses to make them squeal in laughter. He does things with them that I don't think about or that I just don't want to do. For instance, Hus taught our 19-month-old twins how to shake hands whenever he says, "Hi, how ya doing?" It's adorable. He also takes them outside to run around like maniacs when he has them for the day. It's clear that he loves being their Dada; and I love that about him.
5. I love Hus because he is supportive of my goals and aspirations. Hus is my biggest cheerleader. Hus has moved from the East Coast, to the South, to the Midwest with me so that I could go to graduate school and although he has definitely complained a little bit from time to time, in the end, he has always stood by our decisions to move from place to place. He encourages me to continue with things when I feel like I can't and he compliments me when I read him something I've written. I couldn't ask for a more supportive partner.
4. I love Hus because he writes me little love notes. And, he has done this on a consistent basis since we began dating over 10 years ago. For instance, I currently have a piece of ripped paper taped to the inside of my sun visor in my car that reads, "I heart you Dream Girl." I love him for that.
3. I love Hus because he changes diapers (sometimes more often than me) and never complains about it. Enough said.
2. I love Hus because he held my mom's hand during my dad's memorial service four years ago. And, he held her hand for most of the day, even in the car. He probably doesn't realize this, but it significantly affected my mom in an extremely positive way. I love that he does stuff like that.
1. But most of all, I love Hus because I know that he adores me more than anyone else on this planet. I know this because of the way he acts around me, talks to me, and touches me. I only hope that he knows how much I love him too.
As 2011 begins, think about why you love your partner. Write this list down. And, don't just make the list. Share it with your partner. Remember it throughout the year as you go through the ebbs and flows of your relationship. And, add to it whenever your mate does something that reaffirms your love or makes you love him/her even more. Then share it again.
Don't have a New Year's resolution yet? Become a list-maker for 2011.
To get you started, think about one reason right now. Go ahead, you can do it. If you're willing, I'd love to know one of your reasons. Leave a comment with one of your reasons by clicking on the "Tell me what you think" or "Post a comment" link at the bottom of this post and leaving an anonymous comment.
Happy New Year!!!